25 September 2008

Honey Crisp Apples

Honey Crisp apples are amazing.  My sister, when she reads this, is saying to herself, "How would he know.  He can't eat apples."  You see, certain fruit would make my mouth itch:  strawberries, apples, peaches, pears, cherries, plums, nectarines.  Every so often I'd give them a try, but no dice.  An itchy mouth is hard to scratch.

On this last contract out at sea, though, they were running out of fruit that I could eat, so I gave apples another try.  And I didn't itch.  Apples, plums, peaches, pears ... back on the approved list.  In the last two months I've probably eaten 400 apples ... making up for lost time.

So I was at the Farmers market last week, down in Union Square, and Lisa from Phillips Farms said, "Try the Honey crisp."  Wow.

I just bought 5 lbs. and am working my way through them.  They're tart and sweet, juicy.  The texture is crisp, like little cells full of apple juice that bursts when you bite through them.  Definitely not mealy.

Anyhow, if you can find them, give 'em a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment