10 June 2005

salute to Jerrold [update]

I find myself in NY's 8th congressional district, with my representative the inspiring Jerrold Nadler.

Jerry my representative

Browsing Jerry's website, I came across this wonderful piece of proposed legislation, and I sit here, satisfied, knowing that my hard earned tax dollars, which were confiscated at gunpoint, are paying huge dividends.

In particular, I noticed this:
    (2) trucks and commercial vehicles--
        (A) in order to avoid tolls at other New York and New Jersey crossings, use the Verrazano Narrows Bridge route to enter New York City; and
        (B) in order to avoid tolls to enter New York City and avoid the high cost of the one way toll on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, use Canal Street and the Holland Tunnel when heading eastbound out of New York City;
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not) the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge connects Brooklyn to Staten Island, which means if you travel on the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge, you are already in New York City.

Heading eastbound out of New York City will bring you to Long Island, and eventually, to France.

So when I decide to make the drive down to Virginia, to visit the family, the family which, if I may remind all of you, left me all alone in NY, I have to make the decision whether or not a trip over the Williamsburg bridge, through Manhattan, and out the Holland Tunnel, is worth the effort, as compared to the NINE DOLLAR TOLL on the Verrazzano Bridge from Brooklyn to Staten Island.

You see, it used to be $3 each way (that's as far back as I remember) and someone just like Jerry said, "Hey, if we only collect the toll one way, we'll make the same amount of money, but halve our labor cost", never thinking that people might change their behavior when the rules change.

That's a huge problem with all these tax schemes. They change the rules but never expect people to change their behavior. Pineapples, all of them. Large juicy tropical fruits.

Anyhow, on 20 June 2005 I plan to meet, and meet with, the other 12 Republicans on the West side and figure out who we'll throw to the wolves to run against Jerry in '06.

Another vodka tonic barkeep.

update: I know that I hotlinked that photo, which is a netiquette no no. However, it is from Jerry's "publicservant.gov" type website, which the good taxpayers of the United States pay for, so I feel it's not really stealing bandwith, since I pay for the bandwith anyway.