24 October 2005

job interview [update]

this thursday, with the Staten Island Ferry. Definitely a fishing expedition, but hey, who knows?

My initial look wasn't promising, but I met the head dude at a luncheon for the Marine Society of the City of New York, and he said that they have to advertise that way, but the salary is more in the realm of $100K/year, with overtime and bonuses.

update:

the interview went well, but I learned a deal breaking fact: the union that represents the engineers is MEBA District 1, which is the main competition of my union, American Maritime Officers. I can't join MEBA D1 without putting my pension with AMO at risk. So I called the guy at the Ferry and withdrew my name from consideration.

Otherwise the job seemed interesting, and if offered, I probably would have given it a go.